RE: [Xen-users] xen guidelines

To: "Tom Brown" <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] xen guidelines
From: "JHJE (Jan Holst Jensen)" <jhje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:51:39 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 08:51:46 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I would like to ask a variant of the original question. Will
> extra memory
> allocated to dom0 effectively become disk cache for all the domU's ?

Thanks Tom. That is precisely what I was trying to ask.

> AFAIK, that is like asking what type of vehicle you should
> buy for work.
> (Without specifying what kind of work you do :-)
>
> Database servers, mail servers, webservers, compute nodes,
> etc have far
> different usage patterns. Whether any of those services are in dom0 or
> domU may be significant.

I would setup the server so that dom0 does nothing but provide I/O
services and control the domU's. I am used to running GSX so I am
thinking along the lines dom0="host OS" and domU="guest OS".

> > I guess that there is no great need for driver memory in
> case a domU is
> > running off physical partitions since the disk access then
> goes directly
> > through the hypervisor (?). But what about when dom0 is serving
>
> No. It still goes through the dom0 kernel to get to the hard
> drives, as

Ah yes. Of course. Thanks for clearing that up.

Cheers
-- Jan