Re: [Xen-users] Xen dom0 doesn't find root device - kernel panic

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen dom0 doesn't find root device - kernel panic
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 18:49:25 +0100
Cc: Rene Bartsch <ML@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 17:49:59 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks for supplying such a complete set of config details.

> # For booting GNU/Linux
> title  Gentoo Linux 2.6.11-gentoo-r4
> root (hd0,1)
> kernel (hd0,1)/kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r4 init=/linuxrc
-----------------------------------------^

I guess this does some sort of Gentoo magic on boot.  Are you running with
udev?  You should probably be using this under Xen too.  Try changing the
last line of your xen boot section to:

module /vmlinuz-2.6.10-xen0 root=/dev/hda3 ro init=/linuxrc

> /dev/hda1 on /backup type xfs (rw,noatime) [backup]
> /dev/hda2 on /boot   type xfs (rw,noatime) [boot]
> /dev/hda3 on /       type xfs (rw,noatime) [root]
> /dev/hda4 on /home   type xfs (rw,noatime) [home]

Also, make sure you compile XFS support into the kernel (it's not enabled in
the default .config).

Cheers,
Mark