Re: [Xen-users] Basic questions - numbered

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Basic questions - numbered
From: "Fernando Maior" <fernando@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 17:15:09 -0300 (BRST)
Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 20:17:43 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I did not ready the entire email, just flash thru it and believe
your questions can be answered as below. If I am wrong, please
just delete this email.

I am using Xen with SuSE 9.2 Professional. And installed it in
this way:

01) Install SuSE into the hostess machine, and, as I needed 9 VMs
    and decided to go for LVM, I partitioned my SCSI 18GB disk into
    3 partitions: /boot (128MB), / (2GB) and a LVM partition with
    the rest.

02) The LVM partition were divided into a swap (384MB) for the
    xen0 domain, plus 1 root and 1 swap partitions for each VM.
    Each VM root partition is 800MB and each VM swap is 200MB.
    Do not forget to format each VM root partition for reiserfs.

03) After finishing installing, I installed the compiler and
    utilities, and all Xen dependencies into the hostess OS.
    It is still SuSE 9.2 Pro default kernel.

04) Untar Untar/gunzipped xen-2.0.5 into /root/xen-2.0.5,
    download the linux 2.6.10 kernel from kernel.org and copied
    it to the same diretory.

05) make xen
    make tools
    make kernels
    make install

06) Go to /boot/grub and changed menu.lst to use the xen kernel
    to boot, the way you can see in the web page - just make
    sure to use the correct command, see other entries in the
    file menu.lst, especially the one for the default kernel.

07) Move /lib/tls to /lib/tls.disabled

08) Reboot, and choose Xen to boot.

09) After boot, create a directory /mnt/vmroot and mount the
    VM root partition of VM 1 into it. As I named my LVM group
    as v0, my device is /dev/v0/vm1root.

10) Now you can use YaST and choose "Install into directory".
    It will prompt you for the directory, you write /mnt/vm1root,
    then choose the "minimal installation" and "next". SuSE will
    install itself into the VM1 root partition.

11) You change to the VM1 root partition, go to etc directory
    and change everything you want :) Do not bother about GRUB,
    just copy all modules for the xenU kernel to a modules
    directory inside the VM1 root partition:

    # (cd /lib/modules/; tar cf - 2.6.10-xenU)| \
      (cd /mnt/vm1root/lib/modules; tar -xf -)

12) Unmount the /mnt/vm1root partition, create the /etc/xen/vm1
    configuration file, like this:

    kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-xenU"
    memory = 64
    name = "fwInt"
    nics=1
    vif = [ 'mac=aa:00:00:00:00:11, bridge=xen-br0' ]
    disk = [ 'phy:v0/vm1root,hda1,w', 'phy:v0/vm1swap,hda2,w' ]
    root = "/dev/hda1 ro"
    extra = "3"

13) Execute "xend start" in order to have the controller running,
    then "xm create vm1" and you are in!

Hope this can help...

--
Bye,
Fernando Maciel Souto Maior

AVISO-------------------------------------------------------------
Esta mensagem pode conter informacao confidencial ou privilegiada.
Se voce nao for o destinatario ou a pessoa autorizada a receber
esta mensagem, nao pode usar, copiar ou divulgar as informacoes
nela contidas ou tomar qualquer acao baseada nessas informacoes.
Se voce recebeu esta mensagem por engano, favor avisar o remetente
imediatamente, respondendo o e-mail e em seguida apagando-o.
Obrigado pela cooperacao.

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action based
on any information herein. If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by replying to this
e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.