[Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] hanging dell hardware

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] hanging dell hardware
From: michal urbanski <michal@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:06:50 -0700
Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 21:07:00 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 09:45:51PM -0000, Ian Pratt wrote:
>  > It hangs, solid. No ssh, dead to the network, console dead, etc. No
> > reboot... I've come back to a hung machine after a weekend, and it was
> > still hung.
> >
> > Once it hangs, I can't get anything on a console or anything. Nothing
> > makes it down to the logs, either, as far as I can tell.
>
> Please can you switch to a text console and then try an get it to hang.
> Hopefully something will come out.
>
> Also, please can you add 'watchdog' to the Xen command line in
> grub.conf.
>
> > The machine is a PowerEdge 2850, the controller is a PERC 4e/Di.
>
> Is this the standard on-board SCSI controller?
>
> Ian

Sorry this reply took so long. Upon hanging, I get nothing from the
console... even after having turned watchdog on. I'm trying to force a
crash now while I monitor various things in /var/log... is kern.log the
one I should be looking at?

Over the long weekend, I ran the machine on a non-xen 2.6.10 kernel,
doing a big 100gb dd and a "find /" repeatedly, two activities that
normally cause the machine to fail over... and it didn't hang. I'm not
sure if this anecdote is enough to confirm that it is indeed a
xen-related problem and not something else (like say hardware), but it
is a datapoint nonetheless.

Is there anything else I can check?

-michal urbanski