RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] FYI: gcc segfault also meet with as

To: "Tristan Gingold" <Tristan.Gingold@xxxxxxxx>, <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] FYI: gcc segfault also meet with as
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 13:14:15 -0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 13:15:25 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Yes this problem has been with us for several months and
anybody who exercises Xen/ia64 heavily will probably see it
occur.  It is definitely not specific to gcc... it may even
be occuring in ltp, but since it is not repeatable (the
failure appears almost randomly), it is hard to link a
single ltp test failure to the "gcc segfault" problem.

Based on what I have seen, I suspect it has something
to do with a stale translation... perhaps some flush/purge
is not working properly or maybe a region id is being
incorrectly re-used.

Isolating this problem will take a lot of effort and
some sophisticated debug tools/hardware.  However, I
would not recommend Xen/ia64 be "released" to customers
until it is found/fixed.

Dan