Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] [Patch] Add more dom0 operations

To: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] [Patch] Add more dom0 operations
From: Matt Chapman <matthewc@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 13:07:36 -0600
Cc: xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 19:06:38 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Kevin,

> 3. I'm not sure why latest check-in about DOM0_GETMEMLIST differs much
> from x86 behavior. Could you explain a bit about that? IMHO, XEN/IA64
> can have same syntax as x86 easily, since page allocator already
> aggregates available pages list under domain struct. So a different
> version is provided enclosed by CONFIG_VTI. If we can set on the same
> page later, it may be extracted out then.

This is my code so I'll explain.  I don't have a particular attachment
to this solution, I'm happy to discuss it.

My first issue with the x86 DOM0_GETMEMLIST is that it looks at the
_allocated_ list.  This could interfere with use of alloc_domheap_pages
in the hypervisor, as the user's call to DOM0_GETMEMLIST may include any
pages that have been allocated by the hypervisor from the domain's heap.
I notice for instance that your VMMU code uses alloc_domheap_pages.

The other issue is that the pages need to be added to the target
domain's mfn/pfn mapping.  I was trying to avoid adding more
IA64-specific hypercalls by doing the allocation and mapping within
DOM0_GETMEMLIST.  Perhaps you can say more about your userspace
implementation (i.e. xc_linux_build or equivalent).  How do you map
the pages into the target domain's physical address space?

Matt