[Xen-devel] xen/stable-2.6.32.x xen-4.1.1 live migration fails with kern

To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] xen/stable-2.6.32.x xen-4.1.1 live migration fails with kernels 2.6.39, 3.0.3 and 3.1-rc2
From: Andreas Olsowski <andreas.olsowski@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 19:56:50 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 10:58:41 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have 2 servers, both were installed with Debian 6.0.2 stable(squeeze).

I took the xen-4.1.1.tar.gz and the very latest xen/stable-2.6.32.x from jeremys git.

For dom0 .config i used one that was derived from the ones suggested on the pvops wiki page. It has worked fine before.

For domU i use 3 different kernels, a 2.6.39 one, that is running fine on ~80 paravirtualized guests in my production envrionment.
Also the lastest 3.0.3 and 3.1-rc2 from the kernel.org git.

The config was updated for them via make oldconfig at different times.
3.0.3 has explicitly has DEBUG symbols in it, the others dont.

I made damn sure my two test servers where as close to identical as they can possbily get. Everything installed by make install-xen and make install-tools is binary identical.
The kernels have been copied over via scp. (scp /boot/*2.6.32.45* ...)

It all boils down to this:
BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at ...

This happens when i migrate one of my 3 test virtual machines (testvm-2.6 testvm-3.0 and testvm-3.1) from host1 to host2.
host1 is called xenturio1, host2 is called tarballerina.

config-2.6.32.45-xen0:
http://pastebin.com/DLC3BcCF

config-2.6.39-xenU:
http://pastebin.com/r5KBpumE

config-3.0.3-xenU:
http://pastebin.com/DDjrYANv

config-3.1-rc2-xenU+:
http://pastebin.com/tWbt16yR

sytem information on host1 and host2:
http://pastebin.com/zs89a1rQ
(cpuinfo, xl info, uname -a, md5sums of xen and kernel)

Here come the logs:

testvm-2.6@host1 to host2:
xl console:
http://pastebin.com/mUKugaYu
vm-state after migration "r-----"
xenctx:
http://pastebin.com/viQzfwT1

testvm-3.0@host1 to host2:
xl console:
http://pastebin.com/iswQFN2a
vm-state after migration "r-----"
xenctx:
http://pastebin.com/8VdSUrYd

testvm-3.1@host1 to host2:
xl console:
did not produce any output
vm-state after migration "---sc-"
xenctx: http://pastebin.com/ymT0Rxhz

xl-testvm.*.log output after killing them:
http://pastebin.com/0L4905ft

testvm-2.6@host2 to host1:
xl console:
http://pastebin.com/nNqUeJNR
vm-state after migration "-b----"
xenctx:
http://pastebin.com/gfAVWe2v

testvm-3.0@host2 to host1:
xl console:
did not produce any output
vm-state after migration "-b----"
xenctx:
http://pastebin.com/nPiTTLEz

testvm-3.1@host2 to host1:
xl console:
http://pastebin.com/3tqB4Zet
vm-state after migration "-b----"
xenctx:
http://pastebin.com/bBtxePmr

xl-testvm.*.log output after killing them:
http://pastebin.com/3i4XzFsv

Local migration works (migrate to localhost).

I first encountered this on servers running 4.2 where one of 3 hosts could not migrate machines that have been created on it.

As usual: input is greatly appreciated.

If you want me to try any other kernel .config entries or want some different output tell me what exactly you would like to see and i will provides them a.s.a.p.

If you are running xen4.1.1 with 2.6.32-jeremy kernels and you dont experience this problem, i would like to have your dom0 and domU .config files so i can test them.

With best regards
--
Andreas Olsowski