Re: [Xen-devel] HYBRID: PV in HVM container

To: Keir Fraser <keir.xen@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] HYBRID: PV in HVM container
From: Mukesh Rathor <mukesh.rathor@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:32:05 -0700
Cc: Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, George, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:32:58 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 08:46:08 +0100
Keir Fraser <keir.xen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 28/06/2011 02:51, "Mukesh Rathor" <mukesh.rathor@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi Keir,
> >
> > Actually, I modified the PVops guest.  The changes in the pvops are
> > minimal and mostly confied to xen specific files. So I think it has
> > a fair shot of being upstreamed, at least, worth a shot. I will run
> > them by Jeremy/Konrad and get their opinions.
>
> Well, maybe. But we now have HVM guests, PV guests, and PV-HVM
> guests. I'm not sure that adding explicitly HVM-PV guests as well
> isn't just a bloody mess.

Could we perhaps define a HYBRID type that will have characteristics
like, this runs in HVM container, it doesn't use EPT, it uses HVM
callback, etc.. We can they modify it without defining any new types in
future, say we find it works better with EPT under certain
circumstances etc..  What do you think?

thanks,
Mukesh