Re: [Xen-devel] USB disk corruption on Xen 4.1.0 & Linux 2.6.38.7

To: Anthony Wright <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] USB disk corruption on Xen 4.1.0 & Linux 2.6.38.7
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 16:10:24 -0400
Cc: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 13:11:37 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:45:33AM +0100, Anthony Wright wrote:
> I hit it every time, though with slight variations on which blocks are
> affected. I get the problem on two out of three of my machines. I don't
> supply any command line options to Xen or the kernel. I do use an initramfs.

So a couple of things popped at when looking at this:

a). "sata_nv 0000:00:08.1: BMDMA: failed to set dma mask, falling back to PIO"

That is not good. Somehow it wasn't able to set a 32-bit mask. Don't know
if that is due to the driver or just that the kernel can't do it (b/c it
was compiled with some special options).

b). Are you using some special .config option? If you were to use a normal
 distro would you see this?

c). You are using a 32-bit dom0. Didn't notice it until now so I wonder
  if there are some lingering issues (for example not flushing the highmemory
  mappings) that are at foot. Had you tried a 64-bit kernel before?

d). Does the problem exist if you try it with a 2.6.39 kernel or the 3.0-rc3?

e). Can you run lspci -n ? There is a pretty big file in
drivers/usb/host/pci-quirks.c
  Want to check against your machine.