Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Linux 3.0-rc1 - what Xen components went in.

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, stse+xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Linux 3.0-rc1 - what Xen components went in.
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 11:07:06 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 08:08:13 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 11:48:20AM +0200, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 12:12:24PM -0400, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> >- Xen block backend. Yes, it is in!
>
> I tried 3.0-rc2 as a Dom0 kernel, but I have problems with the block
> backend support.
> Both Dom0 and DomU are Debian/Testing systems. XEN version is 4.1.0.
>
> The 3.0-rc2 compiled and started without problems, even the DomU
> started.  But when I looked at the DomU console I noticed that the
> system had problems with the filesystems. ext3 and ext4 partitions
> produced journal errors and got mounted read only.

Hmm, are barriers somehow being turned on? (They shouldn't). It would
be helpfull if you included the error logs.

> Going back to my 2.6.34.8 with xen patches the DomU problems vanished.

So using the older Dom0. Are there any errors/warnings reported by
the frontend? Is there a difference in the dmesg output from the DomU
booted on 2.6.34 vs 3.0?

> Here is the XEN configuration part for the DomU block devices:
>
> disk = [ 'phy:mapper/mroot,xvda1,w', 'phy:mapper/mswap,xvda2,w',
> 'phy:mapper/mvar,xvda5,w', 'phy:mapper/msquid,xvda6,w',
> 'phy:mapper/musr,xvda7,w', 'phy:mapper/mhome,xvda8,w' ]

that is pretty much how I've it too. Well:

disk = [ 'phy:/dev/vg_guest_1/data-xfs,xvda,w',
'phy:/dev/vg_guest_1/data-ext4,xvdb,w','phy:/dev/vg_guest_1/data-ext3,xvdc,w',
'phy:/dev/vg_guest_1/data-swap ,xvdd,w']

I don't try to put disks as partitions. Let me try that. Are the sizes
that xne-blkfront report the same?

> Do I have to change something? The devices are LUKS encrypted LVM
> devices.

Ah, hadn't tried LUKS. What happens if they are _not_ on LUKS?
Let me set up LUKs on my box in the meantime.

> The DomU kernel is a 2.6.36.4 vanilla kernel. I noticed that I can’t
> use a newer kernel. Every kernel > 2.6.36 crashes the DomU
> immediatley (I don’t even get a console). The log said that DomU was
> crashing too fast, so it was disabled to avoid loops. This happens
> with 2.6.34.8 as Dom0 kernel and with 3.0-rc2.

Can you boot it with 'earlyprintk=xenboot debug loglevel=10' please?
Are you using a special version of .config? Is it available somewhere?