[Xen-devel] Xen security advisory CVE-2011-1898 - VT-d (PCI passthrough)

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Xen security advisory CVE-2011-1898 - VT-d (PCI passthrough) MSI
From: Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 14:48:04 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 May 2011 06:48:52 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

             Xen security advisory CVE-2011-1898
           VT-d (PCI passthrough) MSI trap injection

ISSUE DESCRIPTION
=================

Intel VT-d chipsets without interrupt remapping do not prevent a guest
which owns a PCI device from using DMA to generate MSI interrupts by
writing to the interrupt injection registers.  This can be exploited
to inject traps and gain control of the host.

VULNERABLE SYSTEMS
==================

You are not vulnerable if you do not use "PCI passthrough".  That is,
if you do not pass actual PCI devices (eg, graphics and network
controllers) through to guests, for use by PCI device drivers in the
guest.

In Xen with xend/xm or with xl this would be enabled by the "pci="
option in the domain config file, or by using the "xl pci-attach" or
"xm pci-attach" management command; if you do not use these features,
you are not vulnerable.

You are not vulnerable if you are using PCI passthrough, but are not
using Intel VT-d or AMD-Vi (aka "iommu") to attempt to prevent escape
by guest DMA.  This is because in such a configuration, privilege
escalation and denial of service are possible by guests anyway, and
the present issue does not make the situation any worse.

You are vulnerable if you use Intel VT-d to pass PCI devices through
to untrusted guests, unless your have interrupt remapping supported
and enabled.  This is the case whether you are using Xen, KVM, or
another virtualisation system.

Interrupt remapping is available in newer Intel VT-d chipsets.

IMPACT
======

A guest given a PCI passthrough device can escalate its privilege and
gain control of the whole system.

MITIGATION AND RESOLUTION
=========================

No complete software fix is available but we understand that Intel has
addressed this issue with newer hardware.

We believe a patch along the lines of the one attached can be applied
to Xen to reduce the impact to a denial of service.  Even with such a
patch, a guest can still cause a complete system crash or resource
starvation.

Upgrading to recent hardware that is interrupt remapping capable will
resolve the remaining denial of service issues.  Support for interrupt
remapping, when the hardware is capable, is present in all currently
maintained versions of Xen.

On such recent hardware, when passing pci devices through to untrusted
guests, we recommend the use of the "iommu=required" Xen command line
boot option and the second atttached patch, to avoid unknowingly
booting into a vulnerable configuration.