Re: [Xen-devel] What is the official source for the pvops kernel?

To: Anthony Wright <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] What is the official source for the pvops kernel?
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 08:06:30 -0400
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 05:07:34 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 11:39:44AM +0000, Anthony Wright wrote:
> I want to download the latest (2.6.38) pvops kernel, and I'm trying to work
> out where I should get it from. There seems to be a number of potential
> sources at kernel.org referenced from the Wiki, but depending upon the kernel
> version you should go into jeremy's or konrad's personal git tree.

Hehe.

> I'm a little uncertain which one I should use, particularly since the only
> reference I can find to the source is a wiki which anybody can edit.
>  Also konrad's version which is referenced from the wiki is for 2.6.38-rc7,
> but 2.6.38 has now been released.

Hmm.. It might be a week before I can update tree.

You can start using devel/next-2.6.39

> Is there an official repository for the pvops kernel or is the official way
> to get it to download from an individuals personal git repository?

First of, 2.6.38 is unstable. We haven't completed all the up-porting effort
and there are bounds
to be bugs. So when you run it, please do report the bugs you are seeing.

For right now there are two git trees. The official vaniall 2.6.38 which can:
 - Boot Dom0
 - Boot DomU
 - Can boot PV and HVM guests with the latest xen-unstable.hg tree and the
   latest QEMU (which has built-in backend drivers).

The 2.6.38 in my
tree(git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/konrad/xen.git) has
the things mentioned before, and then:
 - Can be used with Xen 4.0 as it has now three backends: pciback, netback,
blkback.
 - Can be be booted with Xorg (radeon and nouveau) if the card is PCIe.
 - Has gntalloc allowing domain-to-domain pages to be shared.
 - Lots of bug-fixes.
 - And infrastructure add-ons (backend, P2M, M2P).

In short, it has all of the patches that just went in 2.6.39-rc0 and then some
more. For the details look on LKML for '[GIT PULL]' from me.

So if you want the "stable" one use the 2.6.32.32 that Jeremy just released.

If you are more adventurous, try out the devel/next-2.6.39