Re: [Xen-devel] Release of 2.6.36

To: "W. Michael Petullo" <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Release of 2.6.36
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 20:26:01 +0300
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 10:26:56 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 11:45:01AM -0500, W. Michael Petullo wrote:
> With the recent release of Linux 2.6.36, I am trying to reassess the
> status of Xen's Dom0 kernel patches. My understanding was that Xen
> was going to start targeting 2.6.36 after its release, moving on from
> 2.6.32. I am would like to determine if this is still the case. If this
> is the plan, then I would like to figure out its current status and
> where I can find the source code.
>
> I have found a mailing list thread on xen-devel, "Xen patches merged to
> upstream Linux 2.6.36, plans for 2.6.37[1]," but I am not yet clear on
> whether there is a 2.6.36 Xen tree in Git that supports Dom0. The only
> trees that I can find are from Jeremy Fitzhardinge and target 2.6.32.
>
> Part of my confusion is that I have reviewed "XenKernelFeatures" on
> the Xen wiki[2], but this document seems out of date (last updated in
> August). The table "Xen kernel features in the source trees" makes no
> mention of a 2.6.36 Xen tree.
>
> [1] http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-08/msg00850.html
> [2] http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenKernelFeatures

Hello,

Sorry, I haven't had time to update that wiki page yet..

This wiki page has some details about what's happening atm:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps

ie. upstream (kernel.org) Linux 2.6.36 introduced addition
of Xen PV-on-HVM drivers, Xen SWIOTLB, etc..

There's more stuff queued for 2.6.37, including initial dom0 support,
and Xen pcifront driver, and optimizations to pv-on-hvm drivers.

Jeremy (and others) can comment about the state of (new) git trees
suitable for tracking.

-- Pasi