Re: [Xen-devel] Question about the ability of credit scheduler to handle

To: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Question about the ability of credit scheduler to handle I/O and CPU intensive VMs
From: Yuehai Xu <yuehaixu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 18:18:03 -0400
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, yhxu@xxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 15:18:39 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=qkFXY39OROBTG9nyfIjB7Bc85fjI7rJcUAYNhyUgG3A=; b=ofCoftn28InMs/wDxeyfwKXrmhmt2/Bhda2sADojiDA7N4S6Zf9cSTypdR2VOzzOrM lg43AzPct4GhnBuufUOc3+Hk3utadDub+/StO9l+yU0DyikAuc3CJo1ffn6gC4qD2kS8 Ccj5VPXivwqee71OdtZ+mZM/m8RuS6YMXChpU=
References: <AANLkTi=Ro24zg-yDPk1+=c0XsZSe2kNn8Gk07Bu4x0WN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <AANLkTin9E1m_jFcj4Ak7nB9OxcQynrznpQ_nNPi_U7hN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <AANLkTikBWZdpOviSEQSNi_pf66A+zYW8FyQVjiCX8ojm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <AANLkTi=Oa0_=vXrr63eALBU2sQa3aLV0NiQHt8hPPvcw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <AANLkTimYTbf5meNptCtuiKWfQGd_qSNCkbCNabfREc_0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <AANLkTintdF5h0-YD6FxjX0dapfbQYdAcK2P-=wHXnBiC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <AANLkTinCbnzLLtNpdQe0x387UeDcy3SzrmffZw1oQAJo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <AANLkTi=r2MzCwwNbNDopBkoCWvQSc=jkeWUy8hxKYD3_@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Your understanding of Xen is not correct.  In Xen, the VM itself will
> initiate blocking if there is nothing for it to do.  PV domains call
> SCHED_OP_block(), which will cause the VM to block until it is woken
> by an event channel; and HVM domains will execute the HLT instruction,
> which will cause the VM to block until it is woken by an interrupt.
>
> If you do a more complete trace (i.e., "xentrace -e all") and look at
> the results with xenalyze, you'll see dom2 making a sched_op
> hypercall, then transitioning from RUNSTATE_running to
> RUNSTATE_blocked.

I originally considered that when a Dom has an I/O event, its VCPU
would be waken up, in another word, csched_vcpu_wake(struct vcpu *vc)
should be invoked. However, I find I am definitely wrong. As long as
there is a CPU intensive program running in a Dom, this Dom should
never be in a state of "sleep"? In another word, it should never be
waken up?

In such case, suppose there is an I/O event for a VM, how can I insert
this VM schedule entity into the head of the link list and make
schedule() work immediately? I tried in the function of
csched_vcpu_wake, but since this VM also has CPU intensive program,
the throughput of I/O makes no difference.

I feel that in order to make VM that has I/O scheduled as soon as
possible(without considering CPU fairness), other files should be
modified besides csched_credit.c. But where it is?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Yuehai