Re: [Xen-devel] Clock jumped 50 minutes in dom0 caused incorrect 2008 R2

To: Mark Adams <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Clock jumped 50 minutes in dom0 caused incorrect 2008 R2 domU time
From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 08:41:51 -0700
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 08:42:54 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 On 10/06/2010 04:16 AM, Mark Adams wrote:
> Hi Xen-Devel's
>
> Please see my note below regarding a serious issue where my clock jumped
> in dom0. I'm sending this through to the devel list as I haven't managed
> to glean any clear help from xen-users and the debian bug team are
> unsure what could have caused this.
>
> Can you confirm if the kernel or xen controls the clock in dom0? I also
> understand that this could be an underlying hardware issue but I have
> another system on exactly the same hardware which hasn't had this occur.

The kernel manages its own time, but it uses the Xen system clock as its
timebase.  If the Xen system clock is unstable for some reason, then it
will affect the kernel's timekeeping.

Nothing should be using the tsc clocksource, so I'm not sure why its
reporting any kinds of messages.  No PV Xen domain can expect the raw
tsc to be stable.

But the tsc is the basis for the Xen clocksource, and if the tsc is
unstable in unexpected ways then it can affect Xen timekeeping.  This
can be caused by certain power management modes.

> Any advice on how to investigate further or ensure better clock
> stability across dom0 and domU would be appreciated.

What type of system is it?  How many CPUs?  What CPU vendor?

> Also is it correct behaviour for Xen to reboot an 2008 R2 HVM domU if
> the time moves this much? My guess is that the domU crashed when the
> time changed, and was thus rebooted automatically. Strangely the Windows
> 2003 server didn't get rebooted.

I don't think there would be any direct connection between the dom0 time
jump and Windows dying, but if the CPU's tsc and/or Xen's timekeeping is
unstable, then Windows might also see a similar time jump and react badly.