[Xen-devel] ASUS p5q-em board and VT-d

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] ASUS p5q-em board and VT-d
From: Brian Lavender <brian@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 19:43:27 -0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 19:44:23 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Anyone get the ASUS p5q-em b boar to support VT-d? It looks like it
is lacking the capability for the bios to zero out pages for the Graphics
Translation Table (GTT). See this thread.

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2009-04/msg00670.html

And, I also looked at the manual for the board and it appears that the
option to specify memory for the GTT is not available. This is what it
says in the manual, but I am not sure if this has been changed.

GTT Graphics Memory Size [No VT mode, 2MB]
This item is not available.

I guess I am confused why the BIOS needs to access the memory for the GTT. It
seems that this ought to be similar to setting pages for the MMU, but I don't
know the whole story to this.

Two questions I have. Does the BIOS need to configure this? Has Asus fixed this,
or is this board non-functional with VT-d? I see they have a more recent bios
update than the thread where Sandeer tried the board.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&product=1&model=P5Q-EM&type=map&f_type=3

brian
--
Brian Lavender