[Xen-devel] Re: Network buffering of remus

To: Brendan Cully <brendan@xxxxxxxxx>, geoffrey@xxxxxxxxx, dmeyer@xxxxxxxxx, feeley@xxxxxxxxx, norm@xxxxxxxxx, andy@xxxxxxxxx, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: Network buffering of remus
From: Frank Pan <frankpzh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 18:35:51 +0800
Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 03:37:04 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:mime-version:received:in-reply-to :references:from:date:message-id:subject:to:content-type; bh=AF3NufxbKs15E8Qy/eGZJd/+soIIU3FoFBmhSTV2lZk=; b=nlBt9D0wWaXaQEtgKjjo4YygxnsrMlhvYzmccFdOn2lh7+Y/FJZZ5A3CXCnT5RR+zZ dC1osjirvmAO34Rde0/4KrksxYPkwvIggw13JUWq1VK4Wu04p4MGUpLWdGpuEPzfV7d8 sgfWvtkfRNiAYJ/C1o8ecXViNjWwvMl0JUHaA=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 12:39 AM, Brendan Cully <brendan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You'll probably want to test with something a bit more systematic than
> ping. If ping sends a packet to the protected machine just before the
> end of an epoch, the response won't be buffered very long at all. On
> the other hand, if ping sends its packet at the start of an epoch, the
> response will be delayed for the entire epoch length. By default, ping
> sends packets infrequently, and the delay between pings isn't
> particularly rigid, so you'll get jumpy results with it.

Thanks for reply.

After some debugging I found the buffering is not working. I use an
hvm guest with qemu-simulated NIC, the active interface is tapX.0, not
vifX.0.
I've modified remus code, replace "vif%d.0" with "tap%d.0", but it
does not work. Do you know how to make it working?

I also tried pv NIC on hvm, but it seems remus does not support
"PV-on-HVM" guest. Is it hard to do, if I want to add this feature?
Can you give me some advices?

Thanks.

--
Frank Pan