Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Q about System-wide Memory Management Strategies

To: Joanna Rutkowska <joanna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Q about System-wide Memory Management Strategies
From: Daniel Kiper <dkiper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 19:26:29 +0200
Cc: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, qubes-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 10:28:14 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 12:33:17AM +0200, Joanna Rutkowska wrote:
[...]
> How to initially provision the VMs in selfballooning, i.e. how to set
> mem and memmax? I'm tempted to set memmax to the amount of all physical
> memory minus memory reserved for Dom0, and other service VMs (which
> would get fixed, small, amount). The rationale behind this is that we
> don't know what type of tasks the user will end up doing in any given
> VM, and she might very well end up with something reaaally memory-hungry
> (sure, we will not let any other VMs to run at the same time in that
> case, but we should still be able to handle this I think).

There is memory hotplug mechanism (only for Linux now) under
development. I think that solution allow you to expand memory
guest above limit declared at system startup (if you underestimated
it at that stage).

Feel free to test it:
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git,
xen/memory-hotplug head.

If you have any questions please drop me a line.

Daniel