Re: [Xen-devel] domU and dom0 hung with Xen console interrupt binding sh

To: "Keir Fraser" <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Bruce Edge" <bruce.edge@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] domU and dom0 hung with Xen console interrupt binding showing in-flight=1, (---M)
From: "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 09:47:36 +0100
Cc: Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 01:47:43 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> On 17.08.10 at 20:01, Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> There are potentially two problems here: One is that the guest may
>>> fail to send the EOI notification. You would want to check whether
>>> pirq_guest_eoi() got run after that last occurrence of the interrupt.
>>>
>>> The more worrying part is that Xen should time out on a guest failing
>>> to send the EOI notification, and ack the interrupt nevertheless.
>>> Looking at the code I fail to see how the ack_APIC_irq() would get
>>> sent in this case: non-maskable MSIs get this issued from
>>> end_msi_irq(), but ->end doesn't get invoked from
>>> irq_guest_eoi_timer_fn() (only ->enable does). Keir, am I missing
>>> something?
>
> I don't think that timer logic is designed to handle non-maskable MSIs, only
> maskable ones. It ought to be not too hard to fix it up for non-maskable
> ones too by issuing the ->end() call from the timer handler?

Yes, that was what I was trying to hint at, but I wasn't sure whether
calling ->end() here has any unintended side effects and/or requires
any extra care (like preventing a subsequent guest initiated EOI to
call ->end() again).

While looking at this I came across another thing I don't understand:
__pirq_guest_eoi(), for the ACKTYPE_EOI case, calls __set_eoi_ready()
in a cpu_test_and_clear() conditional, but __set_eoi_ready() bails
out if it finds !cpu_test_and_clear() on the same bitmap - what's the
point of calling __set_eoi_ready() here then (or what am I missing)?

Jan