Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Even faster page copy for Xen?

To: Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Even faster page copy for Xen?
From: Dulloor <dulloor@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 10:47:37 -0700
Cc: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 10:48:18 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=6OgSxjDx/Th6QMx1PKhAqE+fr4ZHka+vq3JEWVq3Wgo=; b=Hem6lqMReGvzEsrauesLBBQCHpcXkvQ/xLuL5ZyCFGdbhccPxPbO5OjHdLK9HXBIBw p54qXkT8Kq0DucyGXqmuBFMIYs7gli6Cy5gAa2G+9zyWEAkojijB4b6ROtOhCAQGjHQn 7lZ38KD33dCpKPSeNBeujT+FjfSeM7o4COb/Q=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 12:57 AM, Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Jan, Keir --
>>
>> My x86 assembly skills are much too poor to carefully evaluate
>> and, if of value, implement this in Xen but given your previous
>> interest, such as:
>>
>> http://xenbits.xensource.com/xen-unstable.hg?rev/8de4b4e9a435
>>
>> the following might be worth looking at.
>>
>> Intel has just posted memcpy improvements for glibc for recent
>> popular Intel processor families here:
>>
>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.glibc.alpha/15278
>>
>> The preface to the above patch looks very enticing...
>
> I'm not sure how much of this applies to the much more specific
> case of copying pages... Additionally, I don't think trying to
> use XMM registers in Xen would be a good idea.
Why would you say using xmm/sse in Xen is a bad idea ? We already have a
copy_page_sse2 (in copy_page.S) in our code base and available (by default)
for x86_64. Is it a bad idea to use that ?