Re: [Xen-devel] Can I use SGI's kdb with a dom0 pv-ops kernel?

To: Bruce Edge <bruce.edge@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Can I use SGI's kdb with a dom0 pv-ops kernel?
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 12:11:33 -0400
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:12:39 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 03:05:42PM -0700, Bruce Edge wrote:
> I asked this a few weeks ago but didn't get a response, so at the risk of
> being a nag, I'll abbreviate and restate.
>
> I know there are other Xen specific debuggers, but I want to know if there's
> any reason why SGI's kdb, http://oss.sgi.com/projects/kdb, should not be
> included in a dom0 pv-ops kernel?

Upstream is integrating one that I think is in 2.6.33
or 2.6.34. So when we rev up that we will get it for free.

> While the patches apply cleanly and build, the result is that one drops into
> kdb on an oops the serial keyboard is non-functional.
> Is this a problem inherent in including an incompatible debugger, or perhaps
> just something wrong in a .config?

What is your serial setup? Are you using the serial console also for
Xen? Is the serial console that Dom0 sees usuable outside kdb? As in,
can you use a null modem connection and poke Dom0 via that?

> Does anyone else use this debugger for dom0 work ?

I haven't used it.