Re: [Xen-devel] PV on HVM

To: Alex Bligh <alex@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] PV on HVM
From: Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 15:58:16 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Stefano Stabellini <Stefano.Stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 10 May 2010 08:10:33 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 10 May 2010, Alex Bligh wrote:
> Stefano,
>
> --On 10 May 2010 15:20:36 +0100 Stefano Stabellini
> <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > this is the updated version of the PV on HVM series: many bugs have been
> > fixed and VIRQ_TIMER support has been added.
> > In order to be able to use VIRQ_TIMER and to improve performances you
> > need two other patches to Xen to implement the vector callback mechanism
> > for event channel delivery and to export some time related hypercalls to
> > HVM guests too.
> >
> > This series is based on a standard 2.6.32 tree, a git tree is also
> > available here:
> >
> > git://xenbits.xen.org/people/sstabellini/linux-pvhvm.git
> >
> > branch name 2.6.32-pvhvm.
>
> This appears to a be complete kernel tree. It isn't immediately
> obvious from the git log whether there are substantial differences
> outside drivers/xen and include/xen? Are there any? Or should I be able
> to simply import these directories into a distributor kernel tree
> and compile from there?

It should be easy to read the differences because there aren't many
commits on top of the 2.6.32 release, you need all the changes after:

commit 22763c5cf3690a681551162c15d34d935308c8d7
Author: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   Wed Dec 2 19:51:21 2009 -0800

    Linux 2.6.32

> One of the problems I found when doing this:
>   http://blog.alex.org.uk/archives/23
> is that the standard Ubuntu tree already has a xen directory,
> leading to all sorts of amusing collisions, at compile time (in
> terms of filename paths), and at link time (if CONFIG_XEN
> is selected, and the idea is to build a kernel that works
> both in paravirtualised guest mode and in HVM mode with PV
> drivers). I got around the former, but not the latter.

I am not sure what is the best way for you to integrate these changes on
top of the Ubuntu kernel tree, but it should be possible.
Try disabling the backends in the config file and just enable
CONFIG_XEN, CONFIG_XEN_PLATFORM_PCI and the disk and network frontends.