Re: [Xen-devel] pvgrub boot problems

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

On 03/27/2010 03:48 PM, M A Young wrote:
Looking at the logs I think the cases might be slightly different, depending on the vfb settings in the guest configuration file. I don't have any vfb setting as I was using it text-only, and I am wondering if pvgrub crashes in these circumstances because it doesn't have a vkbd and fails when it tries to clean up a non-existent device.

I was wondering if it depends on vfb or not as well. I haven't really got it to work either way, but they do have different failures:

Without vfb the crash is in the "kbdfront" thread (looks like a fairly straightforward NULL pointer dereference):

Yes my problem is definitely vfb related. If I throw it a
vfb = [ 'vnc=1' ]
then the boot gets further, but fails because it seems pygrub can't cope with gzipped kernels (I get the errors
ERROR Invalid kernel: xc_dom_probe_bzimage_kernel: kernel is not a bzImage
xc_dom_bzimageloader.c:350: panic: xc_dom_probe_bzimage_kernel: kernel is not a bzImage which is true but without working gzip support many guests (probably including RHEL5) won't work).

So I have three issues with pvgrub
1) without a vfb setting it crashes
2) it doesn't cope with gzipped kernels
3) it doesn't work well with the
disk = [ 'phy:mapper/VolGroup00-austen1,xvda1,w' ]
option. pygrub sees this as (hd0,0) as I think does the booted OS (though I can't say I have actually tested this), but pygrub sees this as (hd0). This isn't so important as it is easier to work around.

        Michael Young