Re: [Xen-devel] pygrub: further improve grub2 support

To: Boris Derzhavets <bderzhavets@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] pygrub: further improve grub2 support
From: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:49:18 +0000
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 03:49:52 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 2010-03-26 at 10:41 +0000, Boris Derzhavets wrote:
> In Ubuntu 10.04 beta grub entry root looks like :
>
>   set root='(/dev/sda,1)'  vs  set  root=(hd0,1) in 9.10

So grub in Ubuntu 10.04 uses _Linux_ device naming in the bootloader
configuration? That seems like an awfully big break with tradition.

Do you know how grub2 tries to interpret this, perhaps using a
device.map type file in /boot/grub? Or perhaps it is simply a bug in
10.04 beta?

sda isn't really a valid name for a modern PV domU kernel anyway. It
should be xvda. Looks like you need to do some additional tailoring to
convert your HVM Ubuntu domain into a PV one.

Ian.