Re: [Xen-devel] [timer/ticks related] dom0 hang during boot on large 1TB

To: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [timer/ticks related] dom0 hang during boot on large 1TB system
From: Mukesh Rathor <mukesh.rathor@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 15:00:22 -0800
Cc: "kurt.hackel@xxxxxxxxxx" <kurt.hackel@xxxxxxxxxx>, Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>, Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 15:01:16 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 18:42:01 +0000
Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> One other irregular at the first glance thing is that the mentioned
> >> very first run through time_calibration() does not seem to result
> >> in running local_time_calibration() on CPU0. One invocation
> >> (apparently independent of time_calibration()) happens right
> >> before Dom0 starts executing.
> >
> > And that's of course the problem: CPU0's TIME_CALIBRATE_SOFTIRQ
> > can't get serviced until entry to Dom0, but CPU0 is responsible for
> > re-arming calibration_timer. Hence there's a gap of calibrations,
> > resulting in an excessive delta observed during the first timer
> > interrupt in Dom0.
>
> Please give xen-unstable:20714 a look. If that fixes the apparent
> problems I think it is also a good candidate for backport to 3.4
> branch.
>
>  -- Keir

Yup, that fixed it. Jiffies now jumps from 0xfffedb08 to 0xfffedb56
as opposed to 0x0000102c or similar.  BTW, my test was limited to
just booting the box.

I'm glad it got resolved before I leave on holidays for a while.
So many thanks to all.

 Mukesh