Re: [Xen-devel] [timer/ticks related] dom0 hang during boot on large 1TB

To: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [timer/ticks related] dom0 hang during boot on large 1TB system
From: Mukesh Rathor <mukesh.rathor@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 11:25:06 -0800
Cc: Hackel <kurt.hackel@xxxxxxxxxx>, Kurt, "Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 11:25:18 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 07:02:55 +0000
Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 18/12/2009 04:36, "Mukesh Rathor" <mukesh.rathor@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The other fix I thought of was to change INITIAL_JIFFIES to
> > something sooner.
> >
> > Would appreciate any help, I don't understand xen time management
> > well.
> This isn't really Xen time code, but unchanged Linux time code. I
> don't know which tree you quoted the code from -- 2.6.18 has similar
> but not identical. Anyway, I suggest try using the jiffy-comparison
> macros from <linux/jiffies.h>: time_before(), time_after(), etc.
> These are designed to work even when jiffies wraps. Feel free to send
> patch(es) for that, if you test that out and it works okay.
>  -- Keir

It's from the unstable version 2.6.18 tree from

file init/calibrate.c,  function calibrate_delay_direct(). I see the code
exactly the same as I mentioned.

Anyways, I'm testing out the patch, trying to reproduce and make sure
fix works.