RE: [Xen-devel] throttling logs messages from qemu

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009, James Harper wrote:

> > On Sat, 1 Aug 2009, James Harper wrote:
> > > Can we revert the patch then? I assume the citrix version of xend
> puts
> > > the log-throttling key in based on certain criteria but maybe it
> isn't
> > > appropriate for the gpl version? I mean it's pretty much useless in
> this
> > > form isn't it? It worked great for me as detecting the presence of a
> > > file in /etc...
> >
> > I think it is important that we try to limit unneeded access from qemu
> > to the dom0 filesystem: the fs-backend daemon was needed at boot time
> > for stubdoms only because of the
> > stat("/etc/disable-guest-log-throttle").
> > I am sure we can figure out a better alternative that works for
> > everyone.
> > For example we could set a watch on xenstore for that node instead of
> > just reading it.
>
> That could work. What about having a per domain config option in the
> standard config that 'xm create' picks up and puts in? That would be the
> most useful to me...
>
> Which would be less work?

hacking qemu beats hacking xend anytime for me :)

> When running in a stub domain, where does the logfile go?

same place: /var/log/xen/qemu-dm-$domainname.log, besides that you also have
/var/log/xen/qemu-dm-$domainname-dm.log that contains the pv qemu logs
(the logs from the qemu process that runs in dom0 to provide the pv
 framebuffer backend to the stubdom)