[Xen-devel] Re: Xen is a feature

George Dunlap <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

cc list from hell trimmed.

> allowing Linux to run as dom0 *is* improving Linux.  The lack of dom0
> support is at this moment making life more difficult for a huge number
> of Linux users who use Xen, including Mozilla, Debian, and Amazon.
> Adding dom0 support would make Linux even more useful to a wide
> variety of people not using Xen at the moment.

Perhaps one way to address this problem would be to make the Dom0
interface less intrusive for the host OS?

Maybe impression last time I looked was that there was huge potential
of improvement in this area. For example the PAT issue
recently discussed was completely unnecessary.  Or if you
added a "VT/SVM only" Dom0 mode I'm sure the interface
would be significantly cleaner too. If you can come up
with a slim clean interface the chances for actual integration
would be likely much higher.

And if people want to update the Dom0 they surely could update the
hypervisor to one with cleaner interfaces too.

I understand that the DomU Xen ABI is becoming a kind of standard
and should be supported, but that's far from true for Dom0.

-Andi

--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- Speaking for myself only.