[Xen-devel] blktap2 questions

To: "Xen-Devel (E-mail)" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] blktap2 questions
From: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 09:45:28 -0700 (PDT)
Delivery-date: Thu, 28 May 2009 09:47:08 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1) Are there any blkfront version dependencies for blktap2?
Or should I be able to use any existing blkfront that works
today with blktap1 or file: ?

2) Assuming I build and install new dom0 and tools from
xen-unstable, do I need to do anything else to use blktap2?
(The hg log says "Blktap devices are now created directly
on the linux dom0 command line".)  Or is it entirely
transparent (other than ensuring my vhd's use "tap:aio:")?

3) The (ancient?) README says: "will cooperate fine with the
existing backend driver, so you can experiment with tap disks
without breaking existing VM configs"  I assume this means it
cooperates with "file:" backed vhds, not with blktap1?  In
other words, will I be able to use blktap1 with some domains
and blktap2 with others?

Suggestion: Augment the README with the bullets in
the changeset log, and perhaps expand on them (and/or
provide URLs for additional documentation).

Thanks,
Dan