[Xen-devel] blktap2 kernel changes

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] blktap2 kernel changes
From: "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 10:26:05 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 28 May 2009 02:26:32 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Apart from the issue of this desirably having a separate config option, which
Isaku thankfully already submitted a patch for, I have a few more concerns:

- The addition of further PG_* flags is problematic, as these represent a rather
  scarce resource. In particular, PG_netback appears to have got added for no
  reason at all.

- The blkback_pagemap interface seems pretty odd: Its state is being always
  maintained, even though it's only being needed by blktap2 afaict. As it's a
  completely standalone (i.e. library like) interface, I would think this ought
  live in a separate module (so that the now existing, but rather odd and even
  broken dependency of blktap.ko on blkbk.ko could get replaced and fixed).
  Its header also should live somewhere below include/.

- The additions to common code should all be properly framed by CONFIG_XEN
  preprocessor conditionals.

Jan