Re: [Xen-devel] xen-detect.c question.

At 23:45 +0100 on 26 May (1243381500), Dulloor wrote:
> Wrt xen implementation, you can take a look at the function
> cpuid_hypervisor_leaves.
> The min leaf for xen (MSR base address) is 0x40000000.
>
> Btw, I don't follow the special handling of viridian domains in
> cpuid_hypervisor_leaves, when its taken care of in cpuid_viridian_leaves
> (both called from hvm_cpuid). Is it dead code ?

Viridian's CPUID leaves live at the same place as Xen's do (the idea
being, that's where you look to find out which hypervisor is running).
When we expose both interfaces, we need to move the Xen ones to a
different set of leaves.  When PV-on-HVM drivers find a hypervisor at
0x40000000 that isn't the one they were expecting, they should keep
looking at 0x100 increments until they find either the one they want or
zero.

Cheers,

Tim.

> -dulloor
>
> ***CL final (Barca vs Man-U) - 2:30 PM (EST)***
>

> 2009/5/26 ?????? <heedongj@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:heedongj@xxxxxxxxx>>
> Hello,
>
> Thank you so much for the reply =)
>
> I will confirm it myself soon.
>
> 2009/5/26 Akio Takebe
> <takebe_akio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:takebe_akio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
>
> Hi,
>

> ?????? wrote:
> Hello, I have a question about xen-detect.c (which is posted
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-changelog/2007-02/msg00075.html
>  here)
>
> It says that by running this program xen PV and HVM can be detected.
>
> First of all, is it true that it can detect HVM (hardware support Xen)?
> Can anyone confirm this?
>
> Yes, you should also confirm it.
>

> If it is true then can anyone explain me how this can detect xen?
>
> See the following thread.
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.kvm.devel/22643
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Akio Takebe

Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Principal Software Engineer, Citrix Systems (R&D) Ltd.
[Company #02300071, SL9 0DZ, UK.]