[Xen-devel] Re: [GIT PULL] Xen APIC hooks (with io_apic_ops)

To: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [GIT PULL] Xen APIC hooks (with io_apic_ops)
From: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 14:35:48 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 19 May 2009 05:36:46 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In a previous discussion you said:

> IO APIC operations are not even slightly performance critical? Are
> they ever used on the interrupt delivery path?

Since they are not performance critical, then why doesnt Xen catch
the IO-APIC accesses, and virtualizes the device?

If you want to hook into the IO-APIC code at such a low level, why
dont you hook into the _hardware_ API - i.e. catch those
setup/routing modifications to the IO-APIC space. No Linux changes
are needed in that case.

        Ingo