[Xen-devel] Re: Grub2 on Xen PV

To: Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: Grub2 on Xen PV
From: Ferenc Wagner <wferi@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 14:16:39 +0200
Cc: Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 19 May 2009 05:17:10 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Ian Pratt wrote:
>
>>> Ah, damn licences issues.  For the kexec code, XenSource can decide
>>> to relicence it under GPLv3+, as it was all written by me while I was
>>> working there. For MiniOS that can't be done as there have been many
>>> contributions from many parts.
>>
>> Isn't MiniOS BSD? In which case presumably the Grub guys can incorporate it.
>
> Yes, MiniOS is BSD indeed.

If it's new BSD (without the advertising clause), then that's
perfectly fine.  Unfortunately I couldn't read so however hard I
tried.  From the top level COPYING file:

   Licensing Exceptions (the relaxed BSD-style license)

   For the convenience of users and those who are porting OSes to run
   as Xen guests, certain files in this repository are not subject to
   the GPL when distributed separately or included in software
   packages outside this repository. Instead we specify a much more
   relaxed BSD-style license. Affected files include the Xen interface
   headers (xen/include/public/COPYING), and various drivers, support
   functions and header files within the Linux source trees on
   http://xenbits.xensource.com/linux-2.6.X-xen.hg. In all such cases,
   license terms are stated at the top of the file or in a COPYING
   file in the same directory. Note that _any_ file that is modified
   and then distributed within a Linux kernel is still subject to the
   GNU GPL.

But there's no COPYING file under extras, nor the above mentions
MiniOS.  The comment in blkfront.c says it's based on netfront.c,
whose comment says it's based on Xen Linux, which is BSD by the above,
so that may be OK.  But other parts of MiniOS haven't got any license
declaration, so it isn't obvious, for the very least...  I wonder how
it could be better communicated.

Meanwhile I'll try to proceed nevertheless.
--
Thanks,
Feri.