[Xen-devel] Re: next->vcpu_dirty_cpumask checking at the top of context

To: <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: next->vcpu_dirty_cpumask checking at the top of context_switch()
From: "Jan Beulich" <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 14:58:28 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 06:59:05 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 04/16/09 6:00 PM >>>
>How big NR_CPUS are we talking about? Is the overhead measurable, or is this
>a premature micro-optimisation?

We're shipping Xen in SLE11 with NR_CPUS=255, and I'm convinced we'll be asked to up this further in the service packs.

Also, micro-optimization reads for me like I was aiming at a performance issue, but the goal really just is to get the use of stack space down (and in particular, make it as independent as possible from configuration settings).

Jan