Re[2]: [Xen-devel] VT-D error related to intel IGD on Asus P5Q-EM DO (Q4

To: "Sankaran, Rajesh" <rajesh.sankaran@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re[2]: [Xen-devel] VT-D error related to intel IGD on Asus P5Q-EM DO (Q45 chipset)
From: Sander Eikelenboom <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 11:29:53 +0200
Cc: "Han, Weidong" <weidong.han@xxxxxxxxx>, "Singh, Ashok P" <ashok.p.singh@xxxxxxxxx>, "Kay, Allen M" <allen.m.kay@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 02:30:29 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Who would be the "platform vendor" ?
The chipset and iGFX are intel, the mobo is Asus and the bios AMI.

If it affects functionality depends on what you what, the iGFX works in
dom0. But passthrough with VT-d doesn't work.

I also tried a pci-e graphic card in the pci-e 16x slot, which disables the
iGFX, but this results in xen disabeling VT-d altogether due to RMRR error.

So yes it affects functionality in the way that it makes VT-D kind of
useless, and that is not why i bought this mobo and proc.

I also wondered if there is a intel-tool which checks if bios adheres to
the VT-d specs/documentation. This way it would be much more simple to
confront the mobo/bios vendors with the problems of there vt-d
implementations, since most vendors (including asus) don't respond well to
problems with opensource implementations. And since a have windows 2008
with hyper-V, nor VMware, nor have plans to buy them to send in a bug
report to asus, i'm kind of stuck.

I somewhere found a link to http://edc.intel.com/Platforms/Xeon-5500/ on
the tab "tools & software" there is a VT-D firmware toolkit, but i don't
have permission to download it. So i can't give that one a try either.

Seems vt-d is a "intel-only" thing due to all the bios related problems
with other vendors :-(

Regards,

Sander

--