Re[2]: [Xen-devel] PVUSB interface, usb controller changes dev id when r

To: Noboru Iwamatsu <n_iwamatsu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re[2]: [Xen-devel] PVUSB interface, usb controller changes dev id when replugged
From: Sander Eikelenboom <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 22:56:08 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 13:56:47 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello Noboru,

Sorry for my late reply,

You are right, it is not so much the ID as the device address.
Below is the lsusb output of
1) USB device not present
2) Philips USB webcam plugged in
3) Philips USB webcam plugged out
4) Philips USB webcam plugged in again

the device nr changed from 002 to 003, since it's incremental I could
predict it and try to bind it your way, but it would be nicer if you don't
have to unplug it.

I have also seen behavior were device are connected to a USB HUB on speed
(all usb 1.0 device are represented as on a USB 1.0 controller/hub
regardless of which physical USB port you use, it groups the devices
together on the protocol version I guess.)

Perhaps the USBIP project has some nice bits for you, it has the ability to
unbind the modules of a device and bind the device to itself, without
unplugging it so it can be shared across tcp/ip (it's in linux/staging at the
moment).
This would solve a part of the problem i would be facing, else the
possibility of wildcards would be handy.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/usbip/

Regards,

Sander

xentest:~# lsusb
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 007 Device 002: ID 046d:c517 Logitech, Inc. LX710 Cordless Desktop Laser
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
xentest:~# lsusb
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 0471:0311 Philips PCVC740K ToUcam Pro [pwc]
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 007 Device 002: ID 046d:c517 Logitech, Inc. LX710 Cordless Desktop Laser
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
xentest:~# lsusb
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 007 Device 002: ID 046d:c517 Logitech, Inc. LX710 Cordless Desktop Laser
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
xentest:~# lsusb
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 006 Device 003: ID 0471:0311 Philips PCVC740K ToUcam Pro [pwc]

Monday, April 13, 2009, 5:38:19 AM, you wrote:

> Hi,

> The hotplug-rule of PVUSB uses a combination of USB bus number and
> hub port number (e.g. 2-1, 1-1.3), not device id (you mean the USB
> device address?).

> Those numbers are not changed when you repeat the plugging in.

> Noboru

> Sander Eikelenboom wrote:
>> I have tried the current PVUSB interface, but the usbcontroller on the host
>> gives a different dev id each time when i plugin the usb device again in
>> the same usb port, so the hotplug rule i have made isn't valid and the usb
>> device isn't grabbed
>> by the usbbk.
>>
>> I would be nice if it could grab a device which is allready plugged in, bus
>> has no module loaded for it. That way the usb host and dev id's won't
>> change.
>>
>> --
>>     Sander Eikelenboom
>>

>> Hardware:
>> Mainboard: Asus P5Q-EM DO
>> Processor: Intel Q9400
>>
>> lspci output:
>> 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset DRAM Controller (rev
>> 03)
>> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset
>> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
>> 00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated
>> Graphics Controller (rev 03)
>> 00:03.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset HECI
>> Controller (rev 03)
>> 00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network
>> Connection (rev 02)
>> 00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation ICH10 USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev
>> 02)
>> 00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation ICH10 USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev
>> 02)
>> 00:1a.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation ICH10 USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev
>> 02)
>> 00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation ICH10 USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev
>> 02)
>> 00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation ICH10 USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev
>> 02)
>> 00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation ICH10 USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev
>> 02)
>> 00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation ICH10 USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev
>> 02)
>> 00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation ICH10 USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev
>> 02)
>> 00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
>> 00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH10 LPC Interface Controller (rev 02)
>> 00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH10 6 port SATA AHCI Controller
>> (rev 02)
>> 00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation ICH10 SMBus Controller (rev 02)

Best regards,
 Sander                            mailto:linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx