Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Scheduler work, part 1: High-level goals and inter

To: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Scheduler work, part 1: High-level goals and interface.
From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 11:41:35 -0700
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 11:42:09 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
George Dunlap wrote:
1. Design targets

We have three general use cases in mind: Server consolidation, virtual
desktop providers, and clients (e.g. XenClient).

For servers, our target "sweet spot" for which we will optimize is a
system with 2 sockets, 4 cores each socket, and SMT (16 logical cpus).
Ideal performance is expected to be reached at about 80% total system
cpu utilization; but the system should function reasonably well up to
a utilization of 800% (e.g., a load of 8).

Is that forward-looking enough? That hardware is currently available; what's going to be commonplace in 2-3 years?

For virtual desktop systems, we will have a large number of
interactive VMs with a lot of shared memory.  Most of these will be
single-vcpu, or at most 2 vcpus.

For client systems, we expect to have 3-4 VMs (including dom0).
Systems will probably ahve a single socket with 2 cores and SMT (4
logical cpus).  Many VMs will be using PCI pass-through to access
network, video, and audio cards.  They'll also be running video and
audio workloads, which are extremely latency-sensitive.

2. Design goals

For each of the target systems and workloads above, we have some
high-level goals for the scheduler:

* Fairness.  In this context, we define "fairness" as the ability to
get cpu time proportional to weight.

We want to try to make this true even for latency-sensitive workloads
such as networking, where long scheduling latency can reduce the
throughput, and thus the total amount of time the VM can effectively
use.

* Good scheduling for latency-sensitive workloads.

To the degree we are able, we want this to be true even those which
use a significant amount of cpu power: That is, my audio shouldn't
break up if I start a cpu hog process in the VM playing the audio.

* HT-aware.

Running on a logical processor with an idle peer thread is not the
same as running on a logical processor with a busy peer thread.  The
scheduler needs to take this into account when deciding "fairness".

Would it be worth just pair-scheduling HT threads so they're always running in the same domain?

* Power-aware.

Using as many sockets / cores as possible can increase the total cache
size avalable to VMs, and thus (in the absence of inter-VM sharing)
increase total computing power; but by keeping multiple sockets and
cores powered up, also increases the electrical power used by the
system.  We want a configurable way to balance between maximizing
processing power vs minimizing electrical power.

I don't remember if there's a proper term for this, but what about having multiple domains sharing the same scheduling context, so that a stub domain can be co-scheduled with its main domain, rather than having them treated separately?

Also, a somewhat related point, some kind of directed schedule so that when one vcpu is synchronously waiting on anohter vcpu, have it directly hand over its pcpu to avoid any cross-cpu overhead (including the ability to take advantage of directly using hot cache lines). That would be useful for intra-domain IPIs, etc, but also inter-domain context switches (domain<->stub, frontend<->backend, etc).

3. Target interface:

The target interface will be similar to credit1:

* The basic unit is the VM "weight".  When competing for cpu
resources, VMs will get a share of the resources proportional to their
weight.  (e.g., two cpu-hog workloads with weights of 256 and 512 will
get 33% and 67% of the cpu, respectively).

* Additionally, we will be introducing a "reservation" or "floor".
  (I'm open to name changes on this one.)  This will be a minimum
  amount of cpu time that a VM can get if it wants it.

For example, one could give dom0 a "reservation" of 50%, but leave the
weight at 256.  No matter how many other VMs run with a weight of 256,
dom0 will be guaranteed to get 50% of one cpu if it wants it.

How does the reservation interact with the credits? Is the reservtion in addition to its credits, or does using the reservation consume them?

* The "cap" functionality of credit1 will be retained.

This is a maximum amount of cpu time that a VM can get: i.e., a VM
with a cap of 50% will only get half of one cpu, even if the rest of
the system is completely idle.

* We will also have an interface to the cpu-vs-electrical power.

This is yet to be defined.  At the hypervisor level, it will probably
be a number representing the "badness" of powering up extra cpus /
cores.  At the tools level, there will probably be the option of
either specifying the number, or of using one of 2/3 pre-defined
values {power, balance, green/battery}.

Is it worth taking into account the power cost of cache misses vs hits?

Do vcpus running on pcpus running at less than 100% speed consume fewer credits?

Is there any explicit interface to cpu power state management, or would that be decoupled?