Re: [Xen-devel] Virtual Bus

To: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Virtual Bus
From: Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 15:15:44 +0200
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tej <bewith.tej@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 06:16:14 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Now an
interesting project that could be tried today is to setup Xend/QEMU-dm
to be able to use VirtIO drivers and then do some performance comparisons
between VirtIO&  netfront/back&  blkfront/back. The backends for VirtIO
are all implemented entirely within QEMU, so in theory it ought to be
easy to get them working under Xen.

Doesn't work. virtio in the current qemu stable branch (which is the base for latest qemu-dm) is too old. It doesn't use the dma mapping api (yet), which is required for it to work in qemu-dm. Also the qemu block layer gets some serious rework right now, so the test results would be obsolete quickly. I'd wait with such experiments until qemu 0.11 is released and merged into qemu-dm.

cheers,
  Gerd