ocaml?? why?? (was: [Xen-devel] caml stubdom crashes)

To: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: ocaml?? why?? (was: [Xen-devel] caml stubdom crashes)
From: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 12:39:04 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Patrick Colp <pjcolp@xxxxxxxxx>, Alex Zeffertt <alex.zeffertt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "George S. Coker, II" <gscoker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 12:45:16 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
At the recent summit, I know I wasn't the only one concerned
about the rise of ocaml as a critical language/tool in the
Xen development world, but I guess I'll be the sacrificial
lamb that starts the discussion, prompted by the thread
about stubdom crashes.

Why ocaml?  Let me make it clear that I know very little
about ocaml... it may be a perfect match for the job and
the best language since sliced bread, but as far as I can
tell it is NOT A WIDELY DEPLOYED language.  As a result,
the Xen community is going to have to work through all
of the little distro/version-dependent idiosyncracies and
bugs that are long since worked through in many other
languages.  That scares me.  I'm happy to learn a new
language... I'm NOT happy to learn how to debug a new
compiler/runtime.

In other words, it may be a very fine academic/research
language... but do we really want enterprise customers'
critical workloads dependent on it?

Okay, the elephant/camel is on the table.  Commence firing.

Dan