Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [RFC] RAS(Part II)--MCA enalbing in XEN

To: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [RFC] RAS(Part II)--MCA enalbing in XEN
From: Frank Van Der Linden <Frank.Vanderlinden@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 22:50:02 -0700
Cc: Gavin Maltby <Gavin.Maltby@xxxxxxx>, Christoph Egger <Christoph.Egger@xxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ke, Liping" <liping.ke@xxxxxxxxx>, "Jiang, Yunhong" <yunhong.jiang@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 21:50:53 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I should probably clarify myself, since I may have created one wrong impression: I don't object to the parts of the Intel code where the hypervisor does more of the initial work (like is also done in the page offline code); it can be critical that this work is done quickly, and the hypervisor is the only place that has both the information and the means to do it.

So, doing some more work there in some cases is probably the best thing to do, even though there is natural resistance to adding more code to the hypervisor.

The main thing that I don't quite understand the benefits of is the vMCE code, which is why I asked if there are examples of where that approach would work better.

- Frank