[Xen-devel] Announcing: Xen / paravirt_ops git tree

To: Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Announcing: Xen / paravirt_ops git tree
From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 13:00:13 -0800
Delivery-date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 13:00:40 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Over the last week I've been migrating the Xen paravirt_ops tree from a Mercurial patch-queue based model to a git tree. This makes it easier for me to work with the various Linux kernel subsystem maintainers in upstreaming patches, but it should also make it easier for people in the Xen community to contribute to mainline Xen development.

At the moment the git tree is hosted on kernel.org at git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git

(http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git;a=summary)

In general, the Xen parts of the tree are based on tip.git (...)

Interesting topic branches are:

xen/core
   Core Xen stuff.  Almost all merged upstream already.
xen/dev-evtchn
   /dev/evtchn driver
xen/dom0/apic
   Changes to hook dom0 apic stuff into the platform apic code
xen/dom0/backend/blkback
xen/dom0/backend/core
xen/dom0/backend/netback
   Backend driver support
xen/dom0/core
   Core dom0 support code
xen/dom0/mtrr
   Updates to mtrr driver
xen/dom0/pci
   Hooks into the pci code, for both pcifront and dom0
xen/dom0/swiotlb
   Swiotlb hooks
xen/dom0/xenfs
   Updates to /proc/xen for dom0 support
xen/fs
   /proc/xen filesystem code (excl dom0-specific parts)
xen/hg-queue-import
   Raw dump from original hg mq patch queue.  Mostly merged into
   appropriate places in git, but still here for reference.
xen/irq
   Interrupt changes
xen/pvhvm
   Start of support for pvhvm drivers.
xen/xenbus
   Xenbus code

If you want to get started, either xen/dom0/hackery or xen/master are the places to start;

xen/dom0/hackery
   Master dom0 branch.  This is all the interesting dom0-related topic
   branches merged together, and is a superset of xen/master.
xen/master
   Master domU branch, with everything interesting merged in.  This is
   likely to be more stable and closer to upstream than dom0/hackery.

If you want to do development against this tree, branch off the most appropriate topic branch and get hacking, and tell me when you have something you want me to pull. I think I'll adopt a fairly broad policy for hosting people's topic trees, and merging into xen/master and/or xen/dom0/hackery if the trees are at least a no-op (ie, don't break things).

At the moment I'm upstreaming everything via the x86/tip.git tree (http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tip/linux-2.6-tip.git;a=summary), but I expect that I'll start sending Xen-specific changes directly to Linus via this tree (obviously anything interacting with the x86 arch code will need to be coordinated with the x86 maintainers).