Re: [Xen-devel] bring up Hypervisor on large (512GB) memory

To: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] bring up Hypervisor on large (512GB) memory
From: Mukesh Rathor <mukesh.rathor@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 15:43:48 -0800
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 15:44:47 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Keir Fraser wrote:
On 10/02/2009 03:08, "Mukesh Rathor" <mukesh.rathor@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The only solution I can think of is moving the bitmap elsewhere, above 4GB in
this case:
    figure the size of bitmap, DIRECT map space, allocate the map,
    mark it reserved in the RAM map, and should work!

    I'd have add a loop around init_boot_allocator() in __start_xen()
    iterating thru the RAM map again, and finding space above 16M.

Am I on the right track?

A 512GB system still needs only 16MB of allocator bitmap. There's no need
for a complicated solution, moving it above 4GB or anything.

I've actually broken xen-unstable and forgotten to account for the allocator
bitmap overhead when I relocate Xen. I will fix that, and properly account
for the bitmap overhead rather than add a fixed overhead (which is probably
what breaks you on 3.1.4). I'll let you know when that's done.

 -- Keir

ok, that sounds better solution. Let me know. Next on my list is customer unable to boot 256GB PV guest, stay tuned.

Thanks,
Mukesh