[Xen-devel] ioemu and gplpv having different view of the same block devi

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] ioemu and gplpv having different view of the same block device???
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 20:17:19 +1100
Delivery-date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 01:17:47 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have found something a bit strange about the way windows is behaving,
but I'm not sure if it's Xen related or not.

Basically, the process is this:

1. Copy new driver directly into c:\windows\system32\drivers\xenpci.sys
2. Reboot (or shutdown then xm restart)
3. Windows runs with the old version - pre the copy. The old version is
absolutely nowhere on the harddisk. Repeat steps 1-3 as many times as
you like.
4. Reboot into Recovery mode (eg off the windows boot cd) and run a
chkdsk
5. All works again

Invoking chkdsk from windows to tell windows to chkdsk on the next
reboot doesn't work - the chkdsk is skipped until the chkdsk from the
recovery CD is run, then after that the chkdsk I requested from windows
is run on the next boot.

I have a couple of very vague theories about why this could be
happening, but could the core of the problem be an artefact of the fact
that qemu caches while pv drivers don't?

I'm using Xen 3.2

Thanks

James