Re: [Xen-devel] gdbsx?

To: mukesh.rathor@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] gdbsx?
From: "Jun Koi" <junkoi2004@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 12:44:40 +0900
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 20:45:00 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=qVdaGpZinE6Pd9V2rfH8Eo+OErRGuSGPU7dT/SLHS80=; b=C1LsPLdjoWqcO58lIZX9sS7Bn/+erFvO4E3INCCgWn2yznXwZGocnR7cK2gpZfOeXh nTtbN2nJcSpq9fskp6a1hT+nlPl9e5b2UCaCQg+V/VlPV5bRiyTRmJWAnvJMkSrIhc8y g+d/6CPUrzRPdA2LZtm+jTO9L2Uua9ize8wK8=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 7:57 AM, Mukesh Rathor <mukesh.rathor@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>Mukesh: Could you explain a bit the advantage of gdbsx over the
>>current implementation that is already in tree? I figured out some,
>>but still might miss some. That is not very clear from the slides.
>
> I've not used the current implementation in the tree so can't compare.
> The main reason for gdbsx is because we use 32bit dom0 on 64bit hypervisor,
> and I couldn't get libxc to support that after a lot of effort.
>
> What I can tell you about gdbsx is, it's a clean, simplified, lightweight
> implementation, that relies on the hyp for most of the work with minimal
> changes. It supports all guests, PV or HVM, 32bit or 64bit.

Thanks. I will look at the code and get back if I have more questions.

> Keir Fraser wrote:
>> On 1/9/08 17:15, "Jun Koi" <junkoi2004@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> It has some chance, if it is used and if it is cleanly implemented.
>> Equally
>> for now it ought to be able to live quite happily outside of the main
>> repository.
>>
>>  -- Keir
>
> gdbsx currently works on 32bit dom0 running on 64bit hyp, hence, probably
> not ready for the main repo. OTOH, kdb is getting there....

gdbsx can happily stay outside tree as long as your changes to
hypercalls are merged. So it is important to get those hypercalls in.

Thanks,
Jun