Re: [Xen-devel] about network live connection during migration

To: tgh <wwwwww4187@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] about network live connection during migration
From: Daniel Stodden <stodden@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 10:28:08 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 01:28:34 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, 2008-03-09 at 10:50 +0800, tgh wrote:
> hi
>   I try to understand to the mechanism of live migration, and I read the
> code ,and have some confusion about the network live connection during
> the migration,could you help me, i read the paper about the live
> migration,it explaine that in a single switched LAN,host sends
> unsolicited ARP,and in router case, broadcastARP will not be accecpted
> ,and migratedOS need to sends to the interfaces in the ARPcache,while in
> a switched net,migrated OS holds the same MAC address,and network switch
> could detect the change of location,   i am confused about where the
> code for all of these , could you give me some more detailed explanation
> or tell me where the code for these

The unsolicited ARP is generated by the network frontend whenever it is
brought up, as would be the case upon resume. look out for something i
believe is called fake_arp (?) in netfront. This is a very simple
operation, btw.

Unicasting to peers listed in the ARP cache is, to my knowledge, not
performed. I believe the paper just outlines what the alternatives would
look like.

regards,
daniel

--
Daniel Stodden
LRR     -      Lehrstuhl für Rechnertechnik und Rechnerorganisation