Re: [Xen-devel] Migrate/Save of 32-bit domU Broken on Xen 3.1.2 64-bit d

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Migrate/Save of 32-bit domU Broken on Xen 3.1.2 64-bit dom0
From: Joshua West <jwest@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 18:05:57 -0500
Cc: Kurt Hackel <kurt.hackel@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 15:07:29 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dang, doesn't work in Xen 3.1.3-rc1 (like you said/expected), with or without Kurt's patches.

Hmm... I thought 32-bit paravirtualized domU's on 64-bit dom0's were supported in Xen 3.1.x? Or am I mistaken?

Perhaps standard features such as start/shutdown/pause of 32-bit PV domU's on 64-bit dom0's are supported, but not the more advanced management features like save and migrate - and I was just unclear from the beginning?

And of course... the final question that all developers hate... when s/could one _hope_ (not expect!) to see save/migrate functionality of 32-bit PV domU's on 64-bit dom0's? :-D

Our whole reason for moving to 64-bit dom0's was to utilize 32GB of memory, instead of the 16GB limitation on 32-bit PAE dom0's. We can't convert all of our virtual machines (100+) to 64-bit linux as its too much work and some actually have to be 32-bit due to vendor supplied software (Oracle, Zimbra, etc). I suppose we'll wait to move to 64-bit until [live] migration is available, as its used quite frequently in our machine rooms.

Thanks for all of your help Keir and Kurt.

Keir Fraser wrote:
Looking at the issues that need to be handled to support this, it cannot be
expected to work.

 -- Keir