Re: [Xen-devel] Question regarding SLAB corruption

To: Roland Dreier <rdreier@xxxxxxxxx>, Lukas Hejtmanek <xhejtman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Question regarding SLAB corruption
From: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 23:34:22 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 15:29:07 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 9/7/07 23:30, "Keir Fraser" <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> And is there any more intelligent way to give big chunks of system
>> memory to a PCI device for exclusive use?
>
> Perhaps dma_alloc_coherent/pci_alloc_consistent? These always return
> machine-contiguous memory. I'm not sure if their use in this way would be an
> abuse of the DMA API, though.

By which I mean: if you were using them instead of alloc_pages *only*
because they guarantee you machine-contiguous memory when running on Xen,
then that would probably be an abuse of the DMA-API.

OTOH, it may just be pointing out places in the driver where
pci_alloc_consistent would be a very suitable API function to be using.

 -- Keir