Re: [Xen-devel] PCI device export

To: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] PCI device export
From: Lukas Hejtmanek <xhejtman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 19:43:11 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 10:41:19 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 01:00:46PM +0100, Mark Williamson wrote:
> That sounds right, yes.  I think there's a permissive mode for the backend
> where it lets things through, and there's a means of listing devices that
> require more permissive behaviour on a per-device basis.

Yes, I use permissive mode for the device. However, I noticed that even in
permissive mode, not all values are allowed. Forcing the pcibackend to allow
direct writes into the device it solves the problem  (partly).

Using the force, the device is able to recovery from the device reset but it
does not receive IRQ.

I found out that it may be caused by wrong reading the IRQ from the device
instead of using quirk and reading it from dev->irq structure. Should such
quirk help?

I will test it next week as I have some huge problems with the DomU - the
kernel crashes too much, I guess I corrupted the root with XFS file system.

> Have you checked if error messages are appearing in dmesg in either the domU
> or the dom0?

Yeah, nothing special there.

> > I've reported some troubles with InfiniBand cards in Xen but nobody cares.
> > Nor the developers of the IB drivers nor people in the xen-dev list. :(
>
> I care!  IB on Xen should be really useful.

OK, great!

> There was a project (which I assume is still ongoing...?) to support
> virtualisation of IB devices in Xen, so that you can give several (PV
> initially) domains direct access to an IB device.  This would leverage the IB
> device's safe user accessibility feature to make this passthrough safe for
> untrusted domains whilst eliminating dom0 from the IO path.

Yes, I know there is an reborn effort for IB support in DomU via Novell and
OpenFabrics. I did not test it yes because they have no support for Xen 3.1
and 2.6.18 kernel now.

--
Lukáš Hejtmánek