[Xen-devel] Re: FW: about VIRQ & PIRQ

To: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: FW: about VIRQ & PIRQ
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 19:07:47 +0100
Cc: Koripella Srinivas <talkwithsrinivas@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 11:05:53 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > >To understand better, have a look at .../xen/arch/x86/irq.c, and in
> > >particular the function __do_IRQ_guest().
> >
> > But do hvm guests use event channels as used in
> > /xen/arch/x86/irq.c. My thinking was they use emulated pic/apic.
>
> That is correct - the HVM guests use a different principle - although
> there's still an event-channel for the QEMU to signal to the hypervisor
> that there's an interrupt pending so that the hypervisor will "look" at
> the emulated pic/apic.

Additionally, HVM guests can make use of Xen event channels if paravirtualised
driver support is added to them.  I'm not sure how they actually interface
with the event channels.

For "normal" HVM guests that don't have any Xen-aware software installed in
them this is irrelevant.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.