Re: [Xen-devel] Documentation For Writing a Split Driver

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Documentation For Writing a Split Driver
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 16:33:47 +0000
Cc: Ryan Riley <rileyrd@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 08:33:36 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I've spent the last few weeks digging around in Xen code and old
> documentation to produce my own simple split driver for 3.0.4-2 to
> handle some logging stuff that I'm doing.  In the process, I quickly
> discovered that the Wiki documentation for adding a new driver to Xen is
> a little lacking.  Is there any interest in me documenting any/all of
> the following and contributing it?

Absolutely!!!!!

> -Creating a backend/frontend skeleton driver and adding it to the kernel.

Yep.  I remember there being a skeleton example driver floating around on the
list at some point, but APIs may have changed since then I guess.

> -Modifying xend and xm to initialize the XenStore for it.  (and hence
> get the probe functions to be called)

Yep.  This is actually not that complicated, but it'd be nice to have it
documented.

> -Setting up event channels
> -Setting up a ring buffer
> -Sharing memory pages between domains (basically the grant tables)

All good stuff.

You might also like to take a look at the stuff covered in the interface
manual (it's in the source tree) and see if there's any overlap with what
you're writing - it would be nice to avoid duplicating information in
multiple places, so that it won't get out of sync later.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!